Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] frank@123.com is offline

Default No more auto GPS (as we've come to know it)

On Mon, 26 Mar 2012 08:35:52 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

"Last month, the National Highway Transportation Safety Agency published a
dense document with guidelines for automakers on how to minimize the
distractions caused by in-vehicle electronics. Buried among equations for
determining optimal display viewing angles and testing procedures is the
recommendation that navigation devices should only show static or
near-static images, which would essentially eliminate their usefulness. "

I owned a GPS for a while. I paid some pretty big bucks to buy the
piece of ****. I think I got $5 when I sold it at our rummage sale, but
I was glad to be rid of the annoying thing. I've been driving since the
late 60's and always used a map with few problems, other than in
constructions zones. Sure I'd get confused and lost sometimes, but who
hasn't. I thought that GPS would save me those 3 or 4 hours per year
that I get lost when traveling, and save me $35 a year on wasted gas,
thus it would pay itself off after about 4 or 5 years. Boy was I wrong.
That f#%^i&* piece of crap was so far off that it was virtually useless.
Yea, in a larger city it was helpful, but try to use it in a rural area,
and it became worse than useless.

The POS lead me 70 miles the wrong way one of the first times I used it.
I was going to a friends wedding in a small rural town. I missed the
whole wedding, wasted over 3 hours and $25 worth of gas due to that GPS.
That POS took me down the most back roads, where some of them didn't
even have gravel on them, and insisted that I take those horrible routes
regardless what settings I used. On the way to that wedding, it
actually directed me down a cattle path and into someone's cattle
pasture, yet still claiming it was an actual road. I finally got out my
map, and found I had gone 70 miles the wrong way, and I had to turn
around and backtrack the whole way, plus another 30 or so miles to get
to my destination.

Add to that the annoying vocal demands of that GPS, which irritated me
to no end. The day I got in the car and pulled out of my driveway, and
it said "wrong way, turn around when possible", was the day I tossed it
in the rummage sale box. I will never own another of those annoying
things. I got my road atlas and state maps. That's all I need. If I
buy a car with a built in GPS, I'll cut the power wire to the damn
thing.

By the way, to eliminate all car accidents, it's not a matter of
removing car electronics, just remove the engine. That will guarantee
no more crashes, not to mention saving a fortune in gas costs.