Posted to alt.home.repair
IGot2P IGot2P is offline

Default No more auto GPS (as we've come to know it)

On 3/26/2012 1:27 PM, chaniarts wrote:
On 3/26/2012 10:46 AM, HeyBub wrote:
Steve B wrote:
wrote in message
m...
"Last month, the National Highway Transportation Safety Agency
published a dense document with guidelines for automakers on how to
minimize the distractions caused by in-vehicle electronics. Buried
among equations for determining optimal display viewing angles and
testing procedures is the recommendation that navigation devices
should only show static or near-static images, which would
essentially eliminate their usefulness. "
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13746_7...tion-unusable/

But if it saves one child's life...

On the other hand, I can still use my GPS to get to the fridge.

I just bought a high end TomTom yesterday at a yard sale for $15,
almost like new.

I understand the argument the way some of these screens are set up. Mine
is just to the left of my rear view mirror on the windshield of
my truck. It helps me get into the correct lane. It tells me the
name of the street coming up so I don't have to look through a maze
of light poles, people, cars, and overgrown shrubbery, and I just
love it.
For me, it actually helps make this old fart of a driver a better old
fart of a driver. Now, if the screen was down on the console, or
dash, I would think that is a bad idea. But for me, it takes a
second or two to get a lot of information from the rear view mirror
and Tom Tom. Now Wifey will have one on her side of the mirror, as
she is always trying to horn in on mine, and she panics when it says
"TURN RIGHT AHEAD", but it is two miles before I'm supposed to turn.
Anyway, we will put 50-100 miles on the truck in a weekend going from
property to property, and these help US immensely.
As with anything, I can see how it would be a problem for others.

BTW, Clark County, NV's new anti hand held phone law is in effect
now, with a $250 fine. I still see people yakking on them, a
motorcycle police officer being one of them. And I understand in
California, you cannot have any GPS device on your windshield. I
guess I have to use the weighted sandbag thing that goes on the dash,
but really, that's more dangerous to look down at then the other one
that's up there where I'm looking anyway.

Wouldn't a "Heads Up" display be handy?

your car doesn't have one already? they're pretty common in vettes in
the last 4-5 years. i imagine that other cars have them too.

For some unknown reason (and I would really like to know why) the only
vehicles that I have ever seen that in is Corvettes and Pontiacs which
of course are no longer made. I had that feature (not GPS, just speed,
etc.) in a Corvette and a Pontiac Grand Prix and they work great!

Don