Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default dennis is moving to Bristol

The Medway Handyman wrote:
On 26/03/2012 23:58, geoff wrote:
In message o.uk,
Dave Liquorice writes
On Mon, 26 Mar 2012 19:13:14 +0100, ARWadsworth wrote:

I think compulsory eyesight tests should be required if you are
caught by a visible speed trap.

I partially agree with you. Surveys suggest as many as 1 in 20
drivers cannot pass the basic eyesight test needed to pass the
driving exam.

I find it very odd that you can pass your test at 17 and not have to
do anything to keep your licence, other than keeping your nose
clean, until your 70th birthday. And even then it's pretty much
"self assesment".

Seems very counter to todays cooton wool world that people are
allowed to be in charge of a leathal(*) bit of machinery with out
regular checks on their competancy to operate that bit of machinery.

(*) Around seven people *a day* are killed in UK road "accidents".
If virtually anything else under the control of people killed that
many there would be an out cry.

Smoking?

Drinking?

Don't say you weren't warned. First they demonised the smoker, now it's going to be the drinker.

Nope. Not with those who drink in moderation.

First they came for the smokers, and I did not speak out - because I
was not a smoker;

It would be stupid to speak out about that.

Then they came for the drinkers, and I did not speak out - because I
was not a drinker;

Then they came for me - and there was no one left to speak out for me.

Mindlessly silly.

While they will certainly demonise the obscenely obese, they
wont be demonising all those who eat anything, stupid.