Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Evaporative cooler problem

Would be nice to know what the scale compound is, and if it's acid
sensetive. I'd try a small area first, with the acid

Acid to water is mostly a problem with sulfuric acid, the others are less a
concern.

I wonder if a pressure washer would loosen the scale?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"dadiOH" wrote in message

2. Chemically. Any acid will do it but for that much you will either have
to use a strong acid or wait and wait and wait, renewing the weak acid when
it becomes neutralized. Lime-Away probably uses phosphoric acid. Too weak.
Rome could have been built in less time of you try vinegar. Swimming pool
acid is hydrochloric acid...same as your toilet bowl cleaner and what is in
your stomach. That's what I would use, diluted by 50-75% to try, stronger
if necessary. IT would become neutralized and need to be changed too. BTW,
add acid to water, *NEVER* vice versa.

Both ways are likely to damage the paint.

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...