Posted to sci.electronics.repair
John-Del John-Del is offline

Default Anyone know a DVM exorcist?

On Mar 26, 6:15*am, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:
I was in bed, watching TV, when I noticed an unfamiliar clicking sound. It
persisted, so I leaned over and saw my Fluke 87's backlight flickering, and
heard it clicking. (The knob was in the off position, by the way.) Turning
it on, then off, ended this weird behavior.

The battery enunciator has been coming on lately, so I have to assume it's a
side-effect of low voltage.

--
"We already know the answers -- we just haven't asked the right
questions." -- Edwin Land

FWIW, I had two 87s (early type) die slowly, and in the same manner.
It started out with the beeper making various noises for no reason.
In both units, I opened up the case and disabled the sounder with some
cellophane tape between the sounder and the main board. Later, they
became flakey and eventually stopped completely. My 77, which has
outlasted two 87s, is bulletproof, but doesn't have the features,
speed, resolution, or immunity to noisy situations, like reading dc
voltages in flyback\smps circuits that the 87s have.

John