Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Noddy Noddy is offline

Default Bridgeport head question

On 27/03/2012 11:53 AM, Jon Anderson wrote:

Well... my shop CNC for some years was an older Millport converted. It's
a step pulley head, and I ran it with a VFD. I'm converting it back to
manual. Moving down under soon, and pondered which to keep, my J2 BP or
the Millport. I've put enough miles on the BP to replace the VS sheave
bushings twice. The Millport with VFD gives me a wider range of speeds,
and is quieter. All it needs is belts and bearings to freshen the head,
which I can source fairly readily. J2 VS parts, I'd probably have to
have shipped from the States.

You should be able to just do a straight up swap on the two heads. I
thought you had a Series II head, which is something of a monster by
comparison. But given you have a lot of QC tooling, sell the VS head,
buy a VFD, and you'll probably still have some money left over.

My apologies, but my Bridgeport terminology wasn't correct in my
original post. I've since discovered that the vary speed head is in fact
a series I 2J, and my original is a copy of the J head.

BTW, are you down under? I was corresponding with a Noddy in AU some
time back, but emails started bouncing and I lost contact.

Oh boy, what a small world

Jon, I am indeed that Noddy, and I'm sorry for losing contact with you.
We did a "tree change" about 18 months ago and moved from suburbia to a
couple of acres in a semi rural area about 50km West of Melbourne, and
in doing so I had to change internet service providers. Somehow in the
move I also managed to loose a lot of my contacts, and I'm still trying
to get them all back.

I'll send you my current email address if you're interested, as I'd be
delighted to continue where we left off.

--
Regards,
Noddy.