Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Noddy Noddy is offline

Default Bridgeport head question

On 27/03/2012 7:19 AM, Jon Elson wrote:

Nope, won't work. The spindles are different. Due to the height
of the varispeed drive, the 2J spindle is longer, the splined part
sticks up higher to where the driving spline is. Then, the rest of the
spindle is a lot longer, so the longer drawbar is at the top of the head.
I'm not sure how many other critical differences there are, but this
is the big one.

Bugger.

Oh, this is not a series-I vs. series-II difference, this is 1J vs
2J. Most series-II machines have 3 or 4 Hp motors and are completely
scaled up from the 1J and 2J heads. Series-II heads (3J and 4J)
typically have NMTB 40 taper, never R-8.

Thanks Jon. In my original ramblings I had my terminologies mixed up.
The vary speed head is in fact a 2J head, and my original is a J head
(or, at least, a very close copy of a J head).

--
Regards,
Noddy.