Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default dennis is moving to Bristol

Dave Liquorice wrote
ARWadsworth wrote

I think compulsory eyesight tests should be required
if you are caught by a visible speed trap.

I partially agree with you. Surveys suggest as many as 1 in 20
drivers cannot pass the basic eyesight test needed to pass the
driving exam.

I find it very odd that you can pass your test at 17 and not have to
do anything to keep your licence, other than keeping your nose clean,
until your 70th birthday. And even then it's pretty much "self assesment".

Seems very counter to todays cooton wool world that people are
allowed to be in charge of a leathal(*) bit of machinery with out
regular checks on their competancy to operate that bit of machinery.

(*) Around seven people *a day* are killed in UK road "accidents". If
virtually anything else under the control of people killed that many
there would be an out cry.

Nope, most obviously with 'life' which kills far more every single day.