Jerry

Default Advice needed on Cherry table top

Hi,

I'm a newbie but am going to build a built-in cabinet / desk center in
my house. The unit will have a table top that is about 80" wide by
about 32" deep. However the two ends will be on top of cabinets so the
open (non supported) area between the end cabinets is about 38" wide.

This thing will be of cherry and I want to have a cherry table top
with the above dimensions. I would like the table top to be at least
1" thick for rigidity -- I don't think a 3/4" plywood would work
without saging/warping in the center.

How would you guys go about constructing this table top? My ideas

1. Glue up a panel using 1" cherry stock. What minimum board width
would you use?

2. Apply a cherry veneer to some other substrate (3/4" birch ply
might be strong enough to not sag?)

3. Bond cherry veneered 1/4" plywood to a 3/4" birch ply sheet.

Can you buy x8' cherry veneered plywood anywhere?

Thanks for any advice you might have.