Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Yanik Jim Yanik is offline

Default OT Short of news in the Zimmerman case

gonjah gonjah.net wrote in
news
On 3/25/2012 8:05 PM, Jim Yanik wrote:
gonjahgonjah.net wrote in
net:

On 3/25/2012 2:28 PM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Sun, 25 Mar 2012 12:33:42 -0500, gonjahgonjah.net wrote:

On 3/25/2012 12:25 PM,
wrote:
On Sun, 25 Mar 2012 11:57:57 -0400, Ed
wrote:

On Sun, 25 Mar 2012 11:33:37 -0400, "
wrote:

On Sun, 25 Mar 2012 07:07:16 -0500,
wrote:

zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
(Note: I don't like anyone covering their head and/or face
when walking in public).
Wow! You must be a baddd asss when it's -40F. ;-)
In Florida?

Han is not in Florida.
Right, but it was raining that day and people in Florida often
cover their heads in the rain. I do up here.
Have you seen the transcript of the phone conversation with the
girl?

Martin says "I think this guy is following me" "I an going to put
my hoodie up" "I am walking slower" (in response to her saying he
should run). He was "heading toward the back gate" according to
the Zimmerman call.
The 46 other calls make it sound like this was not the first time
someone was trespassing on that route.
It sure sounds like this was a well established shortcut from the
7-11 area to the houses behind the community, along with quite a
bit of theft along the way.
Do any one of those things justify shooting Martin? BTW: Martin
wasn't trespassing. AFAIKT
Martin attacking and beating the snot out of Zimmerman was. Do
keep up.
I'm not trying to be rude but I was commenting on gfretwell's post.
I really wanted to know what he thought. The "beating" (wasn't in
this post) as you call it is still in question.

Zimmerman is 28 and looks from the photo to be a full grown armed
man. Martin was 16 and 140lbs.

Six foot three,that's a long reach. even a 140 lb "kid" (and athlete)
can pack a pretty good punch with a long reach.
some pro boxers are less than 140 lbs.
BTW,people have been killed by a SINGLE punch to the head from
ordinary people.
Zimmerman should not have been following Martin IMO.

He was keeping the suspect in sight until police arrived,so the
suspect could be identified,and the police don't grab the wrong guy
while the suspect gets away.
there's no law against it,and people are not required to obey the
dispatcher's commands. those are ADVICE,recommendations.

there's also NO evidence he confronted Martin.
From Martin's girlfriend's statement,it sounds like Martin was going
confront (or go after)the follower.

Sounds like
profiling to me.

SO what? POLICE are not allowed to profile.
no reason why a neighborhood watch guy can't.

This nw guy didn't need to carry a gun either.

In retrospect,yes he did;he was attacked by a big kid,and injured.

I'm guessing a manslaughter charge is coming. With
the feds involved though I'm not sure. Zimmerman's past may play a
part.

His past should not "play a part".
Courts have ruled you cannot consider a defendant's past in deciding
guilt in a court case.

That I'm not sure of.

it's the law. I'm no lawyer,but I've read about it.
Juries don't like it either.

It is interesting to note that a friend of Z who
is black said that Z didn't appear to be a racist.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...e-zimmerman-tr
ayvon-martin_n_1378390.html

""I'm a black male and all that I know is that George has never given
me any reason whatsoever to believe he has anything against people of
color," Oliver said."

it may be used to justify -charges-,that result in a trial. But then
it's the prosecution's burden to PROVE -beyond a reasonable doubt-
that Z confronted,provoked,or attacked Martin. I doubt there's
evidence to do that.
Z does NOT have to prove his innocence.
What Zimmerman has to worry about is a lame jury,one that's loaded
with dummies,lazies,or biased people. (lazies will vote to convict
just to go home;path of least resistance)
or the Black Panthers frightening the jurors,blackmail of black
riots,etc.

Interesting case. We had something (sort of) similar happen here
only a few blocks from my house. Yazdi was charged with murder.

depends on what state you live in. laws vary from state to state.
Florida has it's "Stand Your Ground" law protecting lawful
self-defense.

"Stand your ground" doesn't apply because Z followed M.

Yeah,it does. But I don't have the specific cite handy.
there's no law against following someone,it's not a provocation or threat
in itself.

I'm sure
you're aware, but just in case.

I meant to post the link to the Yazdi shooting.

http://www.kxan.com/dpp/news/local/a...oting-at-avery
-ranch

Much different but it's another case where someone needed to exercise
better judgement.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik