Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Gary[_13_] Gary[_13_] is offline

Default Charging a car battery with 14V AC?

On Sat, 24 Mar 2012 10:32:31 -0700, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:

OK, I will try as you suggest. You said something about watching the
polarity across the output of the charger -- what exactly did you mean?

The plus output of the charger goes to the plus terminal of the battery.

I'm aware of that. I was asking about how the polarity of the AC
output affects how the capacitor should be placed?

I urge you NOT to do this. There is no guarantee this charger will correctly
charge your battery. Find someone knowledgeable to help you. Or pay a
service shop to charge the battery. Or buy a new, working charger.

You're missing the point. Sometimes we play around with old, obsolete
kit, just to see if it'll work.