Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What's up with Canada and horizontal electric panels?

On Sun, 25 Mar 2012 10:36:28 -0500, Steve Barker
wrote:

On 3/24/2012 9:59 PM, bud-- wrote:
On 3/23/2012 1:12 PM, dpb wrote:
On 3/22/2012 11:09 AM, bud-- wrote:

The NEC requires up to be on _if_ the breaker handle operates
vertically. Probably also apples to switches in general (404.7).

Yes, but that's different than requiring UP to be ON irregardless.

"Up" does have to be "on" irregardless.
I assume you are saying breakers are not required to be mounted
vertically. Most of them are horizontal in most panels, which is fine.

For that reason large panels can not be mounted horizontally.

Well, I think 240.33 gives the out there...

It says shall be mounted vertically "unless is shown to be impractical".
It follows on that the compatible protection devices are installed in
the appropriate direction(s).

I don't have a full NEC at hand so can't double-check and
cross-reference in detail but I think the end result is that the only
absolute can't is that the vertically-oriented main can't be ON in DOWN
position (essentially don't mount the panel upside down).

The reference in 240.33 is to 240.81, which is essentially the same as
404.7:
"Where circuit breaker handles are operated vertically ... the 'up'
position of the handle shall be the 'on' position." "Up" as "on" (if
vertical) applies to _all_ the breakers, not just the main breaker.

You could mount a small panel with a single row of a few breakers
'horizontally'. For example a subpanel with 8 breakers in a single row.

For a "large panel", like a service panel with 2 columns of breakers,
mounting horizontally will result in one column/row of breakers having
"on" in the down position - not allowed. The common practice shown on
Holmes is not allowed under the NEC. It is real bizarre when I see it.

i think there's a real possibility here that everyone is not
considering. Perhaps the area Holmes and company deal with are not
subject to the NEC. Many jurisdictions (including no less than two
counties near me) do not have any codes for building. And even if they
do, it doesn't mean they adopt the NEC absurdities.

That doesn't explain Holmes whining about vertical panels.