Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default destroying data CDs?

Lieutenant Scott wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote

Nope. Just use it for international transactions, much
more convenient than bank stuff internationally.

It's the international post that sux.

Works fine here, just slower than it once was for some reason.

I used to get stuff from HongKong as fast as from Sydney at times, dont anymore.

50% of stuff I buy from HongKong disappears.

I've never had anything disappear and I likely buy more than you do from there.

Your closer.

I doubt the distance makes any difference given that the plane doesnt stop in transit.

I've always got refunded by the sender though.

Thats suspicious. Bet they arent even sending it and
are profitting from those who dont demand a refund.

That's possible. What usually happens is I ask them why it's late, they say wait a bit, then after a certain time if
it hasn't arrived they give a refund.

Dunno what the story is with their postal insurance
system, or even if they normally use one or not either.

My mate who has just returned from working there for years might know.

I dont normally deal with anyone unless they have
very little bad feedback, specially in china. And they
have to have thiousands of good feedback too.

Same here. It's usually the really cheap things (up to 5 quid) that disappear.

Like I say, none of mine have.

And usually when they're using the economy post (the one that's about a fufth of the price my post office would
charge to send it back).

Yeah, their postal charges are very cheap. Corse so is the stuff sold at retail too.

I dont plan to post the Haulpak, our local PO wont take anything heavier than 20Kg for H&S reasons.

I use a courier for anything over 2kg, as it's cheaper

It isnt here. And most of the stuff I have bought lately has been free shipping.

There are about 20 couriers available her all competing with each other.

Same here. The post office is one of them and they do a hell of a percentage of the total volume.

Fancy tracking system too, you can watch it move around on the way
and see when they have loaded it into the van locally and with the stuff
you have to sign for, it shows up as signed for in seconds after you sign
for it. You sign on a mobile PDA. And they say who signed for it too.

and they don't mind large and heavy objects.

Yeah, I have had some pretty heavy stuff, particularly
the big glass widescreen TV. Takes 2 to move it.

My neighbour's sister had a huge bookshelf delivered (about 14 feet
wide) and there was no tail-lift in the van, and only one driver. She had to re-arrange delivery and get my neighbour
and me to go over there.

Yeah, I had to help the driver with the TV. There is only ever one monkey in the van.

They also have decent vans that can actually fit big stuff like skis in.

Ours all have the same sized vans that handle all that stuff fine.

Most Royal Mail vans are small, designed for lightweight packet and letters.

I havent seen any of the couriers using those here.

A few of the service operations for stuff like photocopiers etc use them here.

The guy at my post office said health and safety to me once, I poked fun at him and called him a wimp.

And thats why half your stuff never shows up.

They can nick it if they like, Royal Mail foot the bill for the lost stuff.

Sure, but I bet thats why you only get half what you order.