Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

Default A pattern/mold for drilling a small wheel fork axle?

"John Doe" wrote in message
.com...
I have some hand tools, but no significant shop tools.

A long-standing problem... Sometimes aluminum flat bar is bent
into a U shape so that it can be used as a wheel axle. The problem
is drilling holes through each fork so that they line up
perfectly. I don't trust my cheap drill press. But... The distance
from one fork to another, the inner width of the fork is known and
will be the same the next time, so a mold might be useful.

The oldtimer trick was to attach an upward-facing point to the drill
press table directly in line with the spindle to locate the punch mark
or pilot hole on the lower end of the work, while you drill the upper
end. Then your problem becomes accurately marking the hole positions,
which can be done with inexpensive hand tools

You can grind and file the point on a short piece of threaded rod
chucked in the drill press.

To position it on the spindle centerline, UNPLUG the drill press,
chuck a piece of stiff wire that nearly reaches the table and
straighten it so the lower end makes the smallest possible circle when
you turn the spindle by hand.

These are better:
http://littlemachineshop.com/Reference/Wiggler.php

jsw