Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.basics,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
Martin Riddle Martin Riddle is offline

Default Powered USB Hub

"Jamie" t wrote in
message ...
Martin Riddle wrote:

"Jim Thompson"
wrote in message ...

On Thu, 22 Mar 2012 13:05:15 -0700, Joel Koltner
wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:

I need a powered USB Hub, 7 (or more) ports.

Lots of conflicting reviews out there.

Since USB is so, um, universal it's not surprising to find a
manufacturer who keeps model numbers and prices the same but has
changed
the chip(s) inside which may noticeably change performance,
unfortunately. I.e., the popular D-Link DUB-H7
(http://www.amazon.com/D-Link-DUB-H7-.../dp/B00008VFAF)
has been around for at least 5 years now, and has gone through
multiple
internal design revisions.

What do you fellow lurkers recommend?

I have one of these that I like:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817182208 --
pretty inexpensive and it "works fine for me."

Note that very few hubs -- almost none once you're above 4 ports --
comes with a power supply beefy enough to provide a full 500mA to
all
ports; I've often felt that the ratio of the power supply's current
output to "number of ports multiplied by 500mA" gave at least some
indication of the quality of the design. (I.e., if they cut a
bigger
corner with the power supply, they probably made bigger cuts
elsewhere...)

Manufacturers do this, of course, since it's incredibly unlikely
anyone
would actually have, e.g., 10 peripherals that all truly need 500mA
on a
10-port hub, so they save money with a smaller power supply.

---Joel

Good direction pointing, Joel!

Based on power, I found this...

http://tinyurl.com/7g4doy9

I have not nearly that much load, but that looks like a safe bet.

I have one of their USB-1gbs Ethernet adaptors. Its made well, and
works. (although USB is only good for ~200mbs)

Cheers

Really? I thought it was 480mbs? That is, the main port..

Jamie

Eeek, Senior moment? Well, I sure didn’t get the full 667mbs
theoretical thruput, but is was somewhere around the USB port speed.
Which must have been ~400mbs, not 200mbs. I should check it again. But
the point was that it worked with out a hitch.

Cheers