Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Short of news in the UK

On Sat, 24 Mar 2012 19:16:14 -0400, "Robert Green"
wrote:

wrote in message
On Mar 24, 11:44 am, "Robert Green"
wrote:
"Kurt Ullman" wrote in message

m...

In article ,
"Robert Green" wrote:

It doesn't look like a very clean case for "stand your ground" but

there's a
long way to go in the investigation, I'd bet. You wouldn't want to

base
your reading of the case on the facts presented by reporters

interviewing
people on the street . . . (-:

I did say "appears" (grin). Instead it will be decided by dirt bags
like Al Sharpton pontificating in front of the aforementioned cameras.

I read somewhere that Al Sharpton had really toned down his act recently
since he landed a steady job:

But in general, Mr. Sharpton, who has lost more than 80 pounds in the

last
few years (through diet and exercise, he says), and wears his suits

tailored
and his hair slicked back, has toned down his image and his rhetoric,
particularly since he came up for consideration for a hosting job. Shortly
before his MSNBC show began, he wrote a column in The Daily News

expressing
regret for some of his actions during the Crown Heights race riots 20

years
ago. ("Our language and tone sometimes exacerbated tensions," he wrote.)

http://topics.nytimes.com/top/refere...ple/s/al_sharp...

--
Bobby G.

When he apologizes for the Tawana Brawly incident, where he manufactured a
totally bogus incident and accused a cop of rape, let us know.

I've never heard the charge that Sharpton himself *manufactured* that
incident.

He certainly did. He specifically slandered Steven Pagonas in the process. I
was living just up the road from Wappingers Falls, NY, at the time and the guy
who worked across the hall from me was the arraigning judge.

People came to him with the story already cooked up and used him
to get it into play and he got played. Kinda like Cheney playing Bush over
WMDs. (-: If you've got specific information that he was the one who made
her lie, I'd like to hear it. I certainly could be wrong about what
happened. IIRC, the case was already rolling when he attached himself to it

He did a *lot* more than "get played". He was an instigator and didn't have
the common sense to fold his tent when it was clear that he was the culprit.

The article acknowledges the Brawley case:

Sometimes he has become involved in these matters because people who find
themselves in trouble call on him, as Tawana Brawley's family did in 1987,
when the young woman claimed she had been abducted and raped by a gang of
white men, a claim that was later dismissed as a hoax by a special grand
jury

The above excerpt seems to confirm that he was added to the case after it
was in progress.

You're looking to the popular press for this sort of information? Good grief!
Sure, Sharpton was called in after Tawana came back from her party, but he was
the one spinning the tales for the media.

He was called upon by the families in the so-called Jena Six case in
Louisiana, when six black high school students were arrested in the beating
of a white classmate after a noose was hung on a schoolyard tree. Michael
Richards, the comedian known for playing Kramer on the Seinfeld television
hit, sought Mr. Sharpton's counsel in 2006 after he suffered what he later
termed a meltdown during a comedy act at the Laugh Factory, where he
repeatedly shouted a racial epithet at a black heckler, a scene disseminated
over the Internet.
If he advised Kramer/MR that means he doesn't always play for one side.
Turns out he was the son of two working class parents, one of them in the
building trades. Clearly he was/is a go-to guy for people who get into some
sort of racial trouble. That's got to attract *some* shady characters over
a lifetime.

Alfred Charles Sharpton Jr. was born Oct. 3, 1954 in Brooklyn, the son of
a contractor and landlord, and a seamstress. He was ordained as a minister
in the Washington Temple Church of God in Christ at age 10.

I personally don't have much love for the guy, but I believe he could have
easily been hoaxed in the Brawley incident. He's clearly not the brightest
bulb in the bunch.

Apparently you're an easy mark.