Posted to sci.electronics.repair
gregz gregz is offline

Default Charging a car battery with 14V AC?

Gary wrote:
Hi everyone!

Any reason why AC can't be used to charge a car battery? Reason I'm
asking is that I have an old Fedtro Powerhouse charger
which is outputting AC.

If this thing is ac, you need a rectifier. Need more info. You also might
need current limiter.

I'm reminded of some old chargers we had in the army, in the battery room.
Big box with switched levels of pulsating voltage to control charge rate. I
think the transformer had multiple taps. Charged and cycled batteries about
the size of motorcycle batteries. These were for RCAT's , remote controlled
aircraft targets.

Greg