Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair
Robert Green Robert Green is offline

Default Do thermal fuses fail from old age?

"Jeff Liberian" wrote in message
On Sat, 24 Mar 2012 18:55:44 -0400, Jeff_wins
wrote:

I'll await comments from others regarding the need and/or usage of a
thermal fuse on the warmer.

Ah, truth by consensus and acclamation. Much as I like the concept,
I've seen it fail far too often.

If I were to reassemble the device differently than the way it was designed,
I would be certain to run it in an area with nothing nearby that could catch
fire for a while to see if the consensus was correct. (-:

Protection devices are sometimes added to products when beta testing reveals
a potentially dangerous condition. Their requirement might not be obvious
by simple inspection later on.

I would only omit a fuse or protective device if it was impossible to find
an identical replacement. Even then, I would probably use the most similar
component I could find. We're talking about a device that's often operating
out a human's presence that has ignition potential. Bad kimshi.

--
Bobby G.