Posted to rec.woodworking
Steve Turner[_3_] Steve Turner[_3_] is offline

Default How best to cut a piece of melamine shelving so it doesn't chip?

On 3/24/2012 2:16 AM, Dave wrote:
On Fri, 23 Mar 2012 19:18:14 -0500, Steve Turner
All that so you can avoid the smell of epoxy? Whatever...

Well, I like your tip. It's fast, easy and convenient.

Thanks. "Fast" of course depends on what kind of epoxy you use. In my
experience, the strongest epoxies tend not to be those that cure quickly,
particularly those of the "5 minute" variety, so I would normally expect this
to be an overnight operation. I recently bought some of this stuff:

http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/prod...171342237 206

and it cures about as quickly as I could expect without sacrificing any
strength or adhesive qualities. It also has relatively low viscosity, which I
prefer for good penetrative characteristics on materials like wood. It's
pretty good stuff, and it would work very well for the phenolic insert application.

To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/