Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Hawke[_3_] Hawke[_3_] is offline

Default OT Is the George Plimpton who posts here an artificial intelligencebot?

On 3/23/2012 2:47 PM, wrote:
On Mar 23, 2:48 pm, wrote:

First I'll take you example of the Bible. The word bible comes from the
Greek word biblios or something close to that. It means a collection of
books. So the title bible tells exactly what the bible is.

But that does not give any information about what the collection of
books is about. So the title does not tell you what the Bible is
about.

It's important because while there are some books that have titles that
give no clue as to what the book is about, like the book Rabbit Redux,
the vast majority of books have titles that identify what the subject of
the book is. That is the number one reason for a title, to identify what
the book is about so the reader will know it without reading the book first.

You really blew this one. " Rabbit Redux " actually tell you exactly
what the book is about. Provided you know something about Updike and
his books, and you know what Redux means. I was in high school with
John , but he was several grades ahead of me.

You are wrong about the title of books. The number one reason for a
title is to identify the book. Not to identify what the book is
about.

It's true that novels are the most likely to have a title that may not
tell you anything about what the book is about but in the majority of
books the reason for the title is to tell what the book is about. You
can argue about percentages but most book titles tell what they are
about or at least give you a clue to what it's about.

Like " Gone with the Wind " is about a tornado.

That's a novel.

Hawke