Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Steel "U" channel? Or is it "C" channel?

On 3/24/2012 1:28 AM, Tom Gardner wrote:
"Brian Lawson" wrote in message
On Thu, 22 Mar 2012 19:29:41 -0400, "Tom Gardner"
wrote:
I'm not sure what the terminology is for a channel that is formed rather
than rolled or cast. I need a channel that is about 1-1/2" wide with
1" or so leg length by 1/8" thick steel ...

have you considered Unistrut?

Available is a small variety of shapes and colours from most plumbing
and all electrical suppliers.

http://www.unistrut.us/

That'll do! I have some around here somewhere, I just need to remember
what I built....Hmmm.

Oh, so we changed the rules, huh?

12 ga is a fair cry short of the 1/8" thickness you gave as a criterion

That's ok, unistrut is certainly far more widely available and cheaper
if it'll do than a "real" 1/8" rolled channel...