Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Green Robert Green is offline

Default OT Short of news in the UK

"gonjah" gonjah.net wrote in message news:uP-
On 3/23/2012 1:05 PM, Oren wrote:

stuff snipped

Depends. Mexicans hate Spaniards. With reason.

Where do you get that?

I know a lot of Mexicans consider themselves to be Spaniards, like being
Spanish is higher class or something. I lived in New Mexico for about 45
years so I'm pretty familiar with Mexicans. I love the people and the
culture.

My wife, for instance, insists her family is from Basque Country. It
maybe true but I've noticed that any Mexican that can trace their family
history to Spain will almost invariably say they are Spanish not
Mexican. So far as to change the way they pronounce their surname to
make it sound more Spanish.

That's been my take but I think you two are dealing with about as divergent
populations of Mexicans as possible. In my neck of the woods, Mexicans seem
to dislike Hondurans and Guatamalans. Go figure. But in my case, too, the
sample population is quite distinct and consists of gardeners, housecleaners
and handymen. With the bad rap that Mexico's getting lately, I wouldn't be
surprised if Mexicans, like many Americans, call themselves Spainards or
even Canadians when traveling abroad. My wife used to carry and use her
official military passport when traveling. Now she hides it in a secret
purse compartment ever since terrorists starting collecting them to identify
US military personnel on hijacked flights.

--
Bobby G.