Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair

Default Do thermal fuses fail from old age?

Not only thermal fuses, as you've found. I've also seen compressor thermal
overloads hanging loose in the air. With the compressor cooking hot.

One other one I saw, was a dehumidifier (commercial model, mounted in a
cellar) that would regularly freeze over. I had a look, and find the freeze
sensor hanging in the air, rather than clipped to the (frozen) suction line.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
m...

I used to subcontract electronic repair for a fire restoration
company. Most of their jobs were to repair the buildings so the heirs
could sell them. They wanted nothing to do with the place their parent
or parents died. More than one death was caused by an incompetent
repair. A thermal overload failed? No big deal: "he terminals on the
wires will push together, so all I need is some tape and I'll charge the
suckers a couple hundred dollars."