Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] tangerine3@toyotamail.com is offline

Default Re-Roof with Tear Off - How Much Mess Inside Attic?

On Fri, 23 Mar 2012 12:01:44 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

I'm pretty sure that I know the answer to this question, but I'll ask
anyway. I'm sure a lively discussion will ensue.

How dirty does an unfinished attic get when they roof a house,
including a tearoff?

Sheathing is 1 x 6 tongue & groove, not plywood. I'm not expecting any
wood to need to be replaced, but I might be unpleasantly surprised.

If you had anything stored in the attic, would you move it out first
to avoid it getting coated with dust?

My parents house was re-roofed years ago. At that time I had some stuff
stored in their attic. The old roofing had to be stripped. The wood
was all good. The professional company did an excellent job on the
roof, but that attic was a real mess inside. Everything I had stored in
there was covered with that grit from the shingles plus nails, pieces of
shingles, tar paper and dirt. I'd suggest covering everything or
removing it and laying down tarps or paper sheets. A lumber yard or
carpet store might have some plastic lumber tarps to five away for free,
or paper/plastic carpet roll wrappings.