Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair

Default Do thermal fuses fail from old age?

On Fri, 23 Mar 2012 12:48:47 -0700, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:

'Course the minuscule size of today's electronics and my aging
eyesight makes it a no-win game for me to try and do much

fixing of that kind of stuff those days.

I just bought an illuminated head-mount magnifier from Harbor Freight for
$5. It's surprisingly good. The optics have little distortion and no
chromatic aberration. There are four magnifications, but the lights "focus"
at only the lowest magnification.

I don't really like the plastic head mounted magnifiers. I'm
constantly going from whatever I'm working on, to picking up tools,
soldering iron, parts, probes, etc, on the bench. I have to keep
raising and lowering the magnifier in order to switch. With an LCD
screen, everything is roughly the same distance away, so no raising or
lowering.

If I were to buy a head mounted magnifier, it will probably be a
surgical loupe.
https://www.google.com/search?q=surgical+loupe&tbm=isch
Lots of styles and types to choose from, all seriously expensive. I've
played with some and am rather impressed. If I can keep the working
distance constant, it's as good or better than my USB camera
microscope. Mounted on eyeglasses, they are a bit heavy, but headband
mounts are available.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D