Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Steel "U" channel? Or is it "C" channel?

On 3/22/2012 6:29 PM, Tom Gardner wrote:
I'm not sure what the terminology is for a channel that is formed rather
than rolled or cast. I need a channel that is about 1-1/2" wide with 1"
or so leg length by 1/8" thick steel but doesn't have tapered legs and
is bent or formed from a flat strip. An Aluminum channel would work too
but would have to be a bit thicker. I'll be using pieces that are about
1-1/2" long. Sure, I could make these in a punch press but I'd certainly
rather not, I'm fairly sure that the material exists but I just can't
find it. Any ideas?

I call if "formed channel"

Google finds several w/ that catchphrase...

http://www.johnsonrollforming.com/display.php/display/A1/category/2