Posted to rec.woodworking
Steve Turner[_3_] Steve Turner[_3_] is offline

Default The new Delta?

On 3/23/2012 9:45 AM, Digger wrote:
On 3/23/2012 12:08 AM, Steve Turner wrote:
A 15" planer that is no longer offered, but is virtually identical to models
still available from Delta, General, and Shop Fox.
http://www.grizzly.com/products/8-x-...ile-Base/G0656
http://www.grizzly.com/products/1-1-2-HP-Shaper/G1035
http://www.grizzly.com/products/14-E...Bandsaw/G0555X
http://www.grizzly.com/products/2-HP...peller/G1029Z2

(Not completely sure if the dust collector is the same model)

I've never heard him complain one iota about the quality of any of those
machines, though I have used them all and I will say that I'm not too enamored
of the band saw or the dust collector (probably because I have machines that
are of a much better design). Unfortunately, I don't have any hands-on

Just curious, what did you not like about the 14" Bandsaw? I'm currently
considering the 14 or a 17 as secondary machine for a semi-permanent
specialty task. Don't need a Laguna but need something true and reliable
to eliminate blade change-out between tasks.

It just doesn't seem very sturdy to me. Keep in mind, I'm spoiled by my
Minimax bandsaw, which is built like a tank, but nonetheless I felt like with
little effort and without significant cost they could have done a better job of
designing things, like the height adjustment mechanism that carries the upper
blade guides. It's been several years since I used that saw, so my memory is a
bit dim, but as I recall that whole mechanism just kinda swings in the wind.
The drive wheels are also very lightweight, and there's a fair amount of sheet
metal in the product that could have been sturdied up quite a bit. The whole
things just kinda rattles when it's running.

I should probably clarify that my father's saw is perhaps 8-10 years old, so
I'm not completely sure it's that exact model I referenced in the link, but his
does have a closed base and that's the only closed base model that Grizzly
currently has listed. They may have made improvements to the saw since then,
or it may be a completely different and newer model. As I recall, he didn't
pay anywhere near $800 for his; I think it was closer to $475. I'll ask him if
he can give me a specific model number.

--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.