Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
PrecisionmachinisT PrecisionmachinisT is offline

Default Stretched the tailstok ram

"xpzzzz" wrote in message ...
The ram wouldn't retract more than about halfway.

I took it all apart, looked for debris saw essentially none but cleaned
anyway, stoned the edges of the keyway, it still started to stick about
halfway.

I was sure I hadn't bent it or anything...

The chuck taper was still in the ram, good and tight; popped that out and
no stick.

Last drilling job was pushing a Forstner bit through plastic pipe to
make it a little bit bigger ID. I guess it got hot, the ram grew, the
taper went in more.

Look for galling along the quill OD where the lock mechanism comes into contact with it and stone again.....install and test fit...any raised areas will present as shiny in appearance rather than dull...repeat if needed.