Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default [OT] Stunning WWII manufacturing photos

On Fri, 23 Mar 2012 07:54:19 -0400, not@home wrote:

On Thu, 22 Mar 2012 15:46:21 -0400, Ed Huntress
wrote:

refers to how many photo-electrons can be stored for each pixel during
exposure, and it affects the noise and dynamic range of the sensor. Depth
used by itself is a pretty ambiguous term.

"Depth" is a pretty vague term, but I think I've heard it mostly in
reference to the appearance of 3D depth in a photo, and selective
focus can indeed enhance that impression.

overall yes, that is what I meant, and it was not meant specifically to those
photos, my response was meant, generally speaking, saying "I" personally like
film photo's over digital, I guess why I do is because the class I took, was
from a commercial photographer, he spent a little time showing us complete
newbs some nice med format and large format photo's and the negatives, (8*10
was the largest he had there, those were awesome) it was my first time seeing
slides side by side of the prints as well, sometimes your first impressions
are most impressive, he was from N.Y. and had some pretty neat stuff of the
city as well, if I could I would build a dark room and learn to develop my own
photo's and would probably buy a med format camera of some sort,

I really enjoyed that class, wish I could had continued on, but at least I
have a general understanding of how my camera works and how lighting really
effects the picture and to add to the picture using surrounding scenes.

One big factor that contributes to the 3D look, which we often
overlook these days, is adjacent-area contrast, at which Ansel Adams

that was also the first time I heard of Ansel Adams,

was the master. Combined with the tonal-range compression he got by
using the Zone System, the effect was mysteriously 3D in his photos.

All of my experience is with film, so I can't judge its comparison
with digitial. I shot my first commercial digital photos just last
year, for an online trade magazine. They were ordinary
photojournalism.

They looked good to me but I wasn't scrutinizing them the way I would
scrutinize advertising photos or artsy work. I'd have to shoot
side-by-side comparisons to identify what's going on, but I have no
reason to do that now. Editors want electronic images, NOW, and there
is little choice in the matter for me.

--
Ed Huntress