Mikey Darden

Default this ought to get everybody fired up....

I do not single out atheists in my attempt here to answer this question. I
merely bring them up because of the timeliness of a conversation I had with
my wife concerning a man she works with who states he is one. We were
discussing his tendency to avoid conversations that require discussing a
belief system. Something all men do....atheist or not.

It is not something all men do. You and several other men here do not seem
to be having a problem. The real problem is that people (notice I said
people and not just men or women) that feel like you do think that people
like me avoid those conversations because we either have nothing intelligent
to contribute, are too fearful of the subject matter, or we're just
uninformed heathens that need converting. It's not always just the subject
of religion that drives me away from a conversation. It's what it does to
people. Like I said before; you, I, and a group of others could sit in your
workshop, have a beer or other beverage, talk about fishing, woodworking,
our wives lousy cooking, etc. and have a grand time. The minute someone like
yourself find that angle to introduce religion into the conversation, the
fun of the evening is over, possibly with some fighting. Even people of
strong beliefs get uncomfortable when you start evangelizing. I just get
tired of hearing about it over, and over, and over...

....because when you love the story of the salvation of man as
much as I do you hope you can share it with someone who will fall in love
with it too.

This statement further drives home my thoughts above. It's great that you
are so passionate about your faith, but most of us, atheist or not, just
want you to keep it to yourself in conversations that do not include
religion or your beliefs. My Dad is a machinist and is passionate about his
work. I enjoy talking to him about his work every once in a while to get
updated and hear about any special projects on which he's working. However,
I do not want to hear about all the aches and pains of the things that he
hates about his job. A little bit is fine, but not when it consumes every
conversation. I care about my Dad and his work, but there's a point that I
have to say, "Dad...we're fishing and trying to enjoy ourselves. Can you not
get yourself and me agitated by talking about the bull**** at work?" He
usually responds, "You're right...I'm doing it again, aren't I?" My Mom
married him and has to listen to that all the time...I do not.

The thing is, most religious fanatics, zealots, or what ever you want to
call yourselves never reach that point of knowing when, where, and with whom
it's time to either stop the religion talk or not bring it up at all. I have
strong ideas about why I'm an atheist, but they are my belief and ideas. I
do not feel the need to share, spread the word, or turn someone around to my
way of thinking. That is the pinnacle of most religion; to convert and tell
as many as you can to think like you do. That's a bold, self-centered, and
quite obnoxiously haughty way to lead life. This is one of the things I just
could never agree with of organized religion. You are all wrong and all
going to hell! :-)

Sometimes I do avoid the subject of religion on principal. I have a close
friend that loves professional wrestling and the Jerry Springer Show.
Whenever he decides to get fired up about either subject, I either tell him
to shut the **** up or I walk away from the conversation. Those are just
topics I do not care for at all. Nothing about fears, beliefs, mysticism,
etc.; I just do not like to talk about those things. Multi-level marketing
is another one of those topics. As is religion, so could all of you zealots
stop finding ways to bring up your faith and convert me? I respect your
decisions and do not try to sway you otherwise. Why can't you respect mine
and stop trying to tell me I'm wrong and why? Over and over and over and...

Mikey

---