Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT Is the George Plimpton who posts here an artificialintelligence bot?

On Mar 22, 8:38*pm, Hawke wrote:

So let me understand this, you're saying that saying the title of a book
tells you what the book is about is idiotic? Really? Then why not tell
me what percentage of books have a title that give no clue as to what
the book is about. Or how about tell us what is the purpose of a book's
title?

Hawke

The title of a book is the name of the book. Pretty much the same as
Dave Smithers is your name. Your name may or may not give a clue
about what you are about. I think the Bible is the book that is the
most sold book. It's title does not say what the book is about. The
purpose of a books title is to have a way to easily identify the
book. It provides a way to search for copies of the book and a way to
tell others about a book so they can find and read it. A title is
much easier to remember than say a number.

Authors generally name their books with names that increase sales. So
to an author the purpose of a title may be to catch attention as well
as provide a way to identify the book.

Why do you think it is important to know the percentage of books that
have a title that gives no clue to what the book is about? As I see
it that is not relevant. It appears you just threw that out for no
reason other than to be typing something. My guess is that a majority
of novels have titles that do not indicate what the book is about. But
I think a majority of text books do have titles that indicate what the
book is about. I suggest you look at the New York Times best sellers
list and see if you can guess what the books are about from the
titles.

Dan