Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair
Phil Hobbs Phil Hobbs is offline

Default Do thermal fuses fail from old age?

The Daring Dufas wrote:

On 3/21/2012 11:03 PM, jeff_wisnia wrote:
Over the years I've had a few thermal fuses in houshold appliances go
open for no apparent reason. When I've replaced them with ones with the
same temperature rating they stayed working fine for years more.

A couple of days ago our three year old Bunn coffee maker quit, because
a 141 degree celcius overtemperature thermal fuse on the water tank
opened. It might possibly have happened because the water tank
thermostat stuck closed, but after I repaired it the thermostat cycled
just as it should.

I was suprised to find that there were TWO identical thermal fuses
connected in series located right next to each other, the bodies were
actually touching. That seemed like a belt and suspenders approach,
unless there's a significant likelihood that a thermal fuse won't open
when it should?

Comments?

Thanks guys,

Jeff

I could understand parallel fuses because one may not handle the
current. Perhaps in series it's safer because the unit will shut
off if one fails to open? o_O

TDD

Nasty cheap Chinese thermal fuses-higher rate of failure to open in a
real overtemp condition-using two in series may keep your house from
burning down, if they don't both fail the same way.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs
--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs