Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
reissmachinist reissmachinist is offline

Default OD grinding,10'' dia. solid roller between centers, asking for tipsregarding dead centers

This is the first time for me to OD grind something this heavy. I
expect to grind between carbon or HSS dead centers and use white lead
or STP as lube. I plan on pushing the tailstock solid against the part
without spring loading, because of the weight, and making sure that
the headstock and the tailstock are clamped tight to the table.
My main concern is that with this weight, the center holes that are
about 3/8-1/2 inch diameter will wear/ tear up the centers or
themselves running against dead centers. I would like to hear from
people with experience OD grinding solid rollers this heavy. This is
an Italian RUR brand grinder that uses #2 morse tapers.
Thanks