Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
PrecisionmachinisT PrecisionmachinisT is offline

Default Aluminum Angle

wrote in message
On Thu, 22 Mar 2012 04:29:43 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Mar 21, 9:07 pm, wrote:

When I've needed sharp cornered aluminum angle in the past I've
ordered "architectural" angle. It looks like you may need to order 2x2
in order to get the 1/4 thickness. And the alloy is 6063T52. If I was
cutting the angle shorter I would probably use a 3" dia. slotting saw
blade in the mill and spin it really fast. That would leave a good
finish, be accurate, and be fast.
Eric

Before deciding on the size, it would be worthwhile to consider the
alloy. I may not remember correctly, but I think 1100 would be
cheaper and also conduct heat much better. So it might be cheaper and
better to use angle with a rounded edge.

Dan

But machining 1100 is more expensive than 6061 or 6063 because it's so
soft.
Eric

Pretty sure 1100 isn't supplied in extruded shapes excepting for square,
round and rectangular.