Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Do thermal fuses fail from old age?

On Thu, 22 Mar 2012 00:03:41 -0400, jeff_wisnia
wrote:

Over the years I've had a few thermal fuses in houshold appliances go
open for no apparent reason. When I've replaced them with ones with the
same temperature rating they stayed working fine for years more.

A couple of days ago our three year old Bunn coffee maker quit, because
a 141 degree celcius overtemperature thermal fuse on the water tank
opened. It might possibly have happened because the water tank
thermostat stuck closed, but after I repaired it the thermostat cycled
just as it should.

I was suprised to find that there were TWO identical thermal fuses
connected in series located right next to each other, the bodies were
actually touching. That seemed like a belt and suspenders approach,
unless there's a significant likelihood that a thermal fuse won't open
when it should?

I wouldn't think they fail just from age, but what do I know?

I r eally posted to ask how you crimp them in place, what kind of
connector do you use?

And where do you buy them?

Comments?

May it be our biggest problem.