Posted to rec.woodworking
RonB[_2_] RonB[_2_] is offline

Default The new Delta?

On Mar 21, 1:53*pm, Steve Turner
wrote:
On 3/21/2012 10:50 AM, Max wrote:

So, excluding the SawStop, which isn't anywhere on any of my lists, what might
be considered the "Gold Standard" now in a cabinet saw?

In the absence of the ubiquitous old Unisaw and PM66 that put both Delta and
Powermatic on the map, the field is certainly narrowed. *I personally wouldn't
consider buying either of the products they developed as replacements. *This
would seem to leave only the Jet Xacta saw as the sole product that looks
anything like the "legacy" tablesaws that we once considered "gold standards".
* However, people always seem to forget about General:

http://www.general.ca/site_general/g...350R_650R.html

I just wonder how long General can continue offering their top of the line
"Made in Canada" machines before they succumb to the same pressures as Delta
and Powermatic.

If I was in the market for a reasonably priced 10" cabinet saw, I certainly
wouldn't have any qualms about considering Grizzly:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/10-H...le-Saw-with-Lo...

If anybody here owns either of those machines, I'd certainly like to hear some
reviews. *Both machines have riving knives (as does the General), and that
would be a requirement at the very top of my list.

--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/

Steve: I own a G1023S which is an older cousin of:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/10-3...le-Saw/G1023RL
http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2012/Main/17

This machine is probably most similar to the G0651 you linked but not
quite the same. Mine looks pretty much identical to the G1023RL
(above links) except it is right tilt instead of left so overall
appearance is opposite. There also appears to be minor differences in
the cranks and switch but my saw is about 11 or 12 years old. One
thing I did notice is the 1023RL has a dedicated dust collection
enclosure around the blade; and now they are equipped with riving
knife. Both of these are real improvements. For a home shop mine has
had pretty serious use. In addition to hobby cabinets, rocking
horses, etc; we finished a basement in a previous home and built and
finished a new home since it was purchased. It is still as solid as a
rock. It looks like they are still installing the same Shop Fox
Classic fence which is a very nice and heavy duty fence.

I believe Grizzly still has a buyer referral service. If you call
them and tell then which tool you are interested in, they will put you
in contact with someone in your area who has purchased one. I used it
and the buyer had actually purchased two - one for himself and one for
his son-in law. The wood pattern shop of my old aerospace employer
also has several Grizzly machine tools. I would definitely recommend
the saw.

RonB