Posted to rec.woodworking
busbus[_2_] busbus[_2_] is offline

Default How best to cut a piece of melamine shelving so it doesn't chip?

I want to thank all of you for helping me. I think the advice of raising
the blade just high enough was the ticket. Well, that and telling me what
side to place face up and face down.

I ended up using masking tape put on really tight and there was barely any
chipping. It was amazing. I was so scared to cut the pieces but it turned
out great.

Thanks.

"Luigi Zanasi" wrote in message
On Mar 18, 1:10 pm, "dadiOH" wrote:
Sonny wrote:
I don't recall ever cutting melamine, so I have a question, also.
Would sawing it proud, then finishing the edges with a straight bit/
router produce a better job than using a saw?

Sonny

Yes.

Like he said. In my experience, a router is the only way to get a
perfect edge on melamine without a scoring blade on your saw. Even the
melamine blades have not given me perfect cuts. YMMV

Luigi