Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default Brick wall keep falling down (in certain places) ... should I reinforce? How?

JIMMIE wrote:
On Wednesday, March 21, 2012 1:25:56 PM UTC-4, Martin C. wrote:
I've got this problematic brick wall:
http://picturepush.com/public/7851103

I had it fixed befo
http://picturepush.com/public/7851105

But it keeps falling down in exactly the same spots!

Q1: What's the best way to re-mason it myself?
How can I reinforce it against whatever it is that is breaking it
down?

PS: Earthquake country.

FRom what I see in the picture it looks like the mortar never bonded
to the brick properly. I would look up some DIY infromation on laying
brick and follow the instuctions.

Hard to tell from the photo but it look as if you've got a foot or more of
soil on the inside (photo #2). That's a lot of push especially after a
rain. Are there weep holes? Seems to me that you need to build up the soil
on the front of the wall in a slope so that there isn't all that weight
behind it trying to push it over. If there isn't a load behind it then the
footer isn't much good. Is there steel through the bricks into the footer?

In the first photo, you have a wall less than a foot high. I can't imagine
it falling over even if the pricks were just stacked? Somebody whack it?

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...