Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default destroying data CDs? (was: paper shredder repair?)

On Mar 21, 8:44*am, MM wrote:
On Tue, 20 Mar 2012 16:31:06 -0700 (PDT), Andy Dingley

wrote:
On Mar 7, 1:11*pm, Adam Funk wrote:
On a related note, is there a good & easy way to destroy data CDs?

CDs or CD-ROMs?

If they're CD-ROMs, you can microwave them. You need to space them
apart if you're doing a batch (plastic toastrack, or else a $500
silicon wafer processing boat). You also need to do them for just long
enough to nuke the data layer, but without cooking the plastic or
there's a fume problem. For regular industrial use I was able to use a
cheap domestic microwave from Currys, but had to mod it with a fixed
timer and a single big push button.

CDs can't be nuked to reliably kill the data without getting them hot
enough to cause a fume problem. Shredding is easier, although you do
need a hefty shredder.

I do not understand this penchant for microwaving CDs! Toxic,
extremely obnoxious fumes will be released. Do people just put up with
the stench permeating their houses?

I always thought that doing such things in a microwave could damage
the oven.
As your'e not mean to put matalic objects in them, well I guess
tehre's not much metal on 1 CD.

Crazy, when there are shredders
available for the price of a decent meal for two or a tankful of fuel.

or a good night in the pub.

You actually BOUGHT a new microwave, then modded it?!! Risible, when
you could have simply bought a shredder. Since I bought mine, there
are new models on the market that are considerably cheaper (under 40
quid). It's a no-brainer.

Maybe it's just fun to nuke CD's

MM