Posted to alt.home.repair
Tegger[_3_] Tegger[_3_] is offline

Default OT - Power Pole Guy Wires

harry wrote in
:

On Mar 21, 7:55*am, Tegger wrote:
Jim Elbrecht wrote
innews:3r2im7d0oqc2afmfmreoal1fo9

:

When we were doing it [at a little independent telco in the 70's],
it was pretty much 'by guess and by gosh'- but some engineer
probably has figured out the pounds of tension produced by a span
of wires at a certain angle and a certain length. * *That strain
will help hold a smaller lighter load in a different direction.

I have a related question: How are the guy wires held in the ground?
What keeps the steel loop from coming out of the soil?

--
Tegger

They have "ground anchors". They are spirally wound steel rods. Just
screw into the ground. Or sometimes a helix.
Similar to this.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screwpiles

That seems to be it, thanks. It helps when you know what they're called.

I can't imagine the force it must take to screw these things in, especially
into the heavy clay soils of my area.

"Screwpile" appears to be a UK term. I find more American hits using the
terms "helical anchor", or "helical anchor guy wire".

http://www.ecputility.com/Guy_Anchors.asp

--
Tegger