Posted to rec.woodworking
Pat Barber[_2_] Pat Barber[_2_] is offline

Default How best to cut a piece of melamine shelving so it doesn't chip?

As somebody already mentioned:

Make the cut with the best you got and then trim it with a router.

A Freud 96 tooth blade does a pretty fair job on melamine.

http://www.freudtools.com/p-23-singl...nebr-nbsp.aspx

or

http://www.freudtools.com/p-24-doubl...nebr-nbsp.aspx

Note that one blade does good on a single side and the other does
"both" sides..... If you can get one edge good, you are making real
progress with melamine.

This is cheaper than the Festool options...

On 3/20/2012 5:28 AM, wrote:

I don't know if I have enough, ah, GOOMPA (as my grandmother would have said) to ask the wife if I can buy one a Festool anything just to make a few melamine cuts...but it may be worth a try. What the heck, I am too old to be raising a new kid and it should only hurt for a somewhat short time.