searcher1

Default The Last Hardware Store In America

It is extremely rare to find such an establishment nowadays. When you go
into a BORG and have a project to content with the only help you get is "
look in asile ??" I had a problem with my camper and needed to fix the
holding tank without replacing it. I went to Lowes and looked around for
just the right parts with no avail. I even asked for advice but I never got
anything that I could use. As I was driving home pondering "how to" I
noticed and "old" hardware store. I decided to give it a try. When I walked
in the store it looked more like my garage, packed with old crates and
"antique" displays. I looked around a bit when the "old" guy came over to me
to see if he could help me find something. When I explained what I was
trying to do he took me to another aisle and quite literally put what I
needed together with a handful of parts he dug out. I paid less for the
whole thing then I did for the brass drain cock at BORG. I started that day
pulling out what hair I had left over that camper tank and by the end of the
day I had it completed. I really thought that I would have to purchase
another tank from Coleman but thanks to this ole guy at some "run down" pack
rat of a store I got what I needed and a better idea to fix it. It's truly
wonderful when you find store like this. I miss the days that I could go
into our local gun store and spend hours chatting with the old man that
owned it. These guys knew everything, now when you go into these retail
giants with the green horns behind the counter smacking thier bubble gum you
just have to wonder what ever happend to the good ole days?

Rich AKA Searcher 1\

"patriarch" wrote in message
.17...
Tom Watson wrote in
:

Great story, Tom. Thank you for the tribute to your friends.

In the Oakland, California, area, a fine family runs several hardware
establishments such as Moser's. Has for several generations. They are
truly a treasure, both the stores and the people. It's not always easy.
Parts of our area are far from gentrified.

But you are always greeted, served and educated when you arrive. And I am
pleasantly surprised at the treasures Peter digs out of the racks,

whenever
I go in with a problem.

I don't know about one of those 1900-vintage Disstons, though. Maybe I'll
ask, next time I'm in.

Patriarch