Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT Apprentices must really like bollockings

On Tue, 20 Mar 2012 20:48:40 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Mini 70mph head on into a concrete wall with just two rows of tyres in
between.

I thought the driver was dead, but after a couple of seconds he smashed
the door open, got out and hit the car in frustration - and walked
away..just as the marshals arrived.

Yep, I've hit a small tree (6" max trunk dia) not very fast maybe 20
to 30mph I felt the engine thump against the bulkhead. Worst bit was
scrabbling on the floor looking for my glasses that had carried on as
the belt held me. I've also rolled from 50 to 60 mph after a glancing
blow to a drystone wall, worst bit(*) forgetting that when hanging
upside down that you *will* land on your head, in broken glass, when
you release the seatbelt.

I don't think many people realise how much even a low speed impact
*will* hurt. There ought to more of the ramps with a rolling seat
attached. You sit in the seat and roll down the ramp to sudden stop,
hitting it at just a few mph, gives most people quite a shock. Or
make it part of the driving test.

(*) Well after the thought "Oh no this is going to hurt" as I felt
the rotation start.

--
Cheers
Dave.