Posted to alt.home.repair
Edge[_2_] Edge[_2_] is offline

Default How much are you really paying for electricity?

I have been following these contributions to my thread. There is a lot
of debate, but there is no denying that a large portion of the
electric bill goes to delivery charges, which includes maintenance.
When there is a storm that knocks out the electricity, you say, I hope
that my payments to maintain that electrical infrastructure will
restore electricity before the food in my refrigerator/freezer spoils.
Where I live, electrical service is pretty good, though I still lose
power maybe once every year or two.

My house also uses natural gas. My gas bill, like my electrical bill,
has a separate (and mostly fixed) charge for delivery, even if no gas
is used. In my lifetime, I do not remember ever losing gas service. Is
the gas company also going to claim that their delivery charge is also
going, in part, to maintaining their infrastructure?