Charlie Self

Default The Last Hardware Store In America

Tom Watsson writes:

A wonderful story, as usual.

There were no checks or credit cards accepted at the Moser
establishment but it wasn't hard to get a thirty-day account there.
There were no forms to fill out. Mr. Buck would look at you and ask
your name. Then he'd say something like "Ain't your Uncle Steve
Watchamacallit from over to Longwood?" Mr. Buck either knew everybody

Reminds me of Bedford, VA when I first moved there. Walked into COffey &
Saunders farm store to get a whatever. Got it. Took out the plastic to pay,
only to be told I had to put that on my "charge account, 'cause we don't take
American Express". I said I didn't have a charge account. The clerk (AKA owner)
siad, "You do now".

That was 27 years ago. Today, C&S takes plastic and instant accounts are not
available.

Progress.

Charlie Self
"Laws are like sausages, it is better not to see them being made." Otto von
Bismarck