Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default fan bearing grease?

On Mon, 19 Mar 2012 16:52:16 -0000, "N_Cook"
wrote:

12V, .2A, seized up due to the grease , cleaned it all out and runs fine but
what , if any, grease to replace it with?
Simple sleeve bearing .

It's not grease, it's oil. The reason it seems thick is that pieces
of plastic or rubber shavings have conaminated the oil.

I use whatever thin oil I happen to find on the shelf. It's not a
critical application. If you want quality, get some PTFE or silicone
lube that can handle high temperatures. Do NOT use 3-in-one oil,
which is a vegetable lube and will turn to tar if hot.

The real trick to fixing the fan is push the rotor in and out like a
piston to dislodge any accumulated crud in the bushing. However, if
the rotor seems to wobble after oiling, it's probably too far gone to
save.

Marginal, but interesting:
http://www.noisy-computer-fans.co.uk/

# 831-336-2558