Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
JB[_6_] JB[_6_] is offline

Default OT - "burned" engine head

"jim" "sjedgingN0Sp"@m@mwt,net wrote in message
.. .

Bob Engelhardt wrote:

There were 2 heads at the dump, each for 2 cylinders - from a a v4
engine I'd guess. Each of the heads had 1 cylinder badly "burned", as
shown. Anybody know what happened?

Looks like a valve broke off and beat the **** out of everything
rattling around inside the cylinder. Looks like they kept it
running as long as the could after it started banging and clanking.

When the cambelt snaps or loses a tooth, this is exactly what it looks like.
We've seen engines with all 16 valves and most of the followers scrap!
Skimp on a £60 belt/tensioner roller kit and a couple of hours labour each
60k miles or so, and cost yourself £2000 in rebuild charges. Progress

JB