Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default A Question for You Air Only Guys

. 3.70...
Jon Elson fired this volley in news:fICdnY1
:

A jet of flood coolant takes
very little energy compared to a big air compressor.

Indeed.

Additionally, it provides lubrication, and "spot cooling" at the specific
areas (cutting edges) where air cannot impinge because of the pressure
"buffers" that corners produce.

LLoyd

Depending on the material being cut conduction can play a major factor as
well. I discovered the same affect in reverse when trying to weld aluminum
thicker than 1/4 inch. I had to preheat and weld short stretches in order
to get it to weld properly.

While the micro spot of impact at the edge of the cutter may not be directly
impacted by air cooling flow it most certainly will not build heat as much
and conduct it up the tool and into the spindle to the same degree if both
the work piece and the tool are being cooled.

Anyway, This machine will remain dry one way or another for the foreseeable
future. If you have some thoughts on doing that I would be more than glad
to hear them. Your insights are always educational.

Bob