Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel[_4_] Doctor Drivel[_4_] is offline

Default If Scotland gets independence

"hugh" ] wrote in message
In message , Tony Bryer
writes
On Sun, 18 Mar 2012 20:50:09 +1100 Rod Speed wrote :
And we KNOW that in Australia, which has had an LVT for more
than a century now, that landlords do in fact pass on the LVT,
regardless of what some stupid academic claims isnt possible.

No, that is rubbish. I currently have a house up for rent in
Ballarat and it will fetch what the market says it will fetch.
Any prospective tenant could not give a toss whether I am liable
for Land Tax or not or whether my marginal rate of tax is 15%,
30% or 40%. He will pay what the property is worth, regardless of
the tax I pay.

Your house will fetch you what you *think* the market will fetch.

It doesn't.IT fetched what someone pay for it. Not what something should be
paid.

And currently the renter pays your rent + council tax, so they will then
pay your rent + LVT.

Wrong with LVT, little, to sero, is paid via the tenant. See post on this.