Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Slide In Range Or Separate Cooktop and Oven

On Mar 19, 10:56*am, "Snowy" wrote:
Hi,

We could use advice from someone who has already made a choice between a
range and separate cooktop and oven. *We were going to have a separate
cooktop and under the counter oven installed in an apartment being finished.
The cooktop will be on a peninsula so I will be able to face guests while
cooking. *Having the oven separate so my knees aren't being baked nor
blocking the oven seemed like a good idea. *However, the cost will be about
two or three times that of a slide in range. *The apartment is in Ecuador
and availability is less and costs are higher. Could we get some input?

Thanks,
Gary

I was just over a friend's "new to him" house.

There is a gas cooktop in a peninsula that has stools for sitting on
the living room side.

He also has a gas range (cooktop and oven) on the back wall of the
kitchen.

He also has 2 kids, ages 5 and 3.

They are considering pulling the cooktop and replacing it with a
cutting board because they do not plan to use the cooktop on the
peninsula until the kids are old enough that the parents don't have to
keep constant watch on them when the cooktop is in use. The kids like
to sit/eat at the peninsula while mom and dad are cooking, so they
will not use the cooktop if the kids are anywhere near it.

I mention this just in case your guests will include kids that could
be severly injured by boiling water, splashed grease, etc.

When I first saw the cooktop in the peninsula I didn't like it because
I know what would happen in my house - and I'm only speaking for
myself: The peninsula would become a collection place for mail,
newspapers, etc. That is not a place that should be shared with flames.